Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Le Sigh

I've had to step away from the blogosphere for a while.  I finally had to admit to myself that I spent more time reading blogs than doing pretty much anything else.  What had started as enjoyable morning reading while I ate my breakfast before getting to work turned into a multi-hour consuming distraction that left me with work to be done in the evening.  That being said, I think it's time to give myself a little blog time, probably only in the evenings or on weekends.

Things are a-changin' here.  I was recently notified that the business name I've been using for a year and a half is federally trademarked and I must give it up.  My heart sank when I read the email and I was so nauseous I didn't sleep that night.  I had done plenty of research before starting my business under this name to avoid just that problem, but apparently this other business is now forming a web-presence and was none to pleased to find my use.  I am no competition to this other business as I service only southern Indiana and Louisville, KY.  The only out of state customers I have are good friends who come to me regardless of other, more closely located businesses that offer the same work.  Despite my vast disappointment to have to give up my business name and have to redo everything I've spent a year and a half working towards with this name, I'm trying my best to remain positive and take this opportunity to revamp my whole image: name, logo, website and all.  I've been using a free stock logo and was thinking of designing my own this summer, so this is just a little ahead of schedule.  Unfortunately, it's also under a significant time crunch.  I have to get my changes made and submitted by the end of next week so that my upcoming phone book add has the correct information.  Talk about a rush!

I've polled my friends and asked for and received lots of great suggestions, so thanks to everyone who contributed.  I think I've finally settled on a name (that is free of federal trademarks) and am even fairly sure of the logo design that I want.  Now to get it all set into motion!

Other than this name fiasco, business has been great.  I've got so much work that I've had to hire some part-time help for the summer, which has been working out wonderfully.  My father has made even more wonderful sewing equipment for me (pictures to come) and I am so thankful for his enthusiasm and support.  Jim has also been a wonderful shoulder to lean on through all this nonsense.  I feel terrible that my tossing and turning keeps him up at night :(

Speaking of night, it's getting late and since my work is all finally done for the day, I think I'll actually try to get a full night's sleep for once.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment